Sunday, February 21, 2010

Talking point 2

“Without question, it would have pleased me to hear my teachers address me in Spanish when I entered the classroom. I would have felt much less afraid. I would have trusted them and responded with ease.

This would be a good way for teachers to go about inviting students of culture into the class each day. But its unrealistic to think that the teacher would have to do that every class and remember the many ways they could have to say hello.


"Because I wrongly imagined that English was intrinsically a public language and Spanish an intrinsically a private one, I easily noted the difference between classroom language and the language at home."


Richard was able to easily make the distinction that at home it was alright to speak spanish fluently but at school he would need to talk english because it the dominant language in school.


I think this article was very interesting, how at home speaking English came so much easier compared to in public. But it made a lot of sense because when at home it is alright to mess up where as in school its frowned upon. I think that learning English is good but i think its important for them to have kept talking spanish also. I think that in schools teachers being bilingual could be very helpful in teaching but also it would give the kids who don't speak good english less of a reason to learn good english?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tIppleeIjk


http://www.youtube.com/v/0tIppleeIjk&hl=en_US&fs=1&">http://www.youtube.com/v/0tIppleeIjk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

No comments:

Post a Comment