Monday, March 1, 2010

gayness

This article was definitely thought to read. Realizing the effect some of your comments have on gay people is almost overwhelming. I think some of the information might have been dated but for the most part still holds true.

"...it is not estimated that one third of all adolescent suicide victims are gay, approximately one-quarter of all homeless youth in the United States are gay..."

Theses two stats really surprised me i would not have thought that they would be both such a high number. It really makes you think about how you could have been a part of this with what you thought was a harmless joke.


"Given I have no comment, I'm not even going to get into this discussion. I'm going to keep my opinion to myself"
I think this quote shows how even though gayness has become more acceptable it is still hard for people to talk abut it. I think that it will be a touchy subject fro awhile. I personally if i was a teacher would probably shy away from talking about it.
. "Given the realities of being "out" in high school, this strategic closeting of one's gay identity unfortunately continues to be a safe response, even if it comes at the cost of lying about one's life."
This is hard to read because you know it is true. I believe that this countries majority still is against gayness and it is definitely still frowned upon. But i think that if we just accepted it it would make there life easier and probably wouldn't bother us as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment